1. Prepare your heart for God's message by beginning with a time of sincere prayer
"Each time you read your Bible, ask the Lord for understanding.
A wonderfully intimate love relationship awaits those who let the
Spirit reveal to them the thoughts of God. The Spirit's goal is not
to fill your mind with information, but to bring you to a deeper
level in your relationship with the Lord. He wants you to understand
the truth so that you will fall in love with Jesus."
2. Read slowly!
3. Read and re-read the verse, passage, chapter, or book multiple times
- Use a variety of translations for better understanding.
4a. The 5 W's and an H...
- WHO? (Research other passage where the same characters are mentioned)
*** Don't get too hung up on this... as helpful as it is -
especially in the beginning - it can be very time consuming ***
4b. “Spiritual SPECS” to look for during your personal Bible study:
S - Sins to forsake
P - Promises to claim
E - Examples to follow
C - Commands to obey
S - Stumbling blocks to avoid
4c. What does it say about God?
What does it say about man?
How does it apply to my life?
5. Take note of - and highlight - any repeated words
(they most often will tell you the theme or clarify a change in thought flow / topic)
6. Look up any unfamiliar words in a Bible Dictionary (Vines, Holman, etc.) or Strong's Concordance
7. Memorize scripture as often as you can
YOUTH GROUP / FELLOWSHIP GAMES